FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Solution to the two-wheel vs. four-wheel condundrum
Old Jun 10, 2019, 7:40 pm
Allentown

Programs: Hilton Diamond. American Airlines Platinum, Mariott: Gold. Delta: Gold
Originally Posted by TPACjv
Tbh, I think it's better to have a specialized set of bags for each trip type than try to come up with a Swiss army knife style solution.

So imo a modular packing system would be attractive but not a convertible one.
I can buy into that but I also take it one step further and invested in both modular systems and convertible systems. As you said, it is better to have specialized gear for each type of trip and each season than it is to try and make one bag do it all.

The problem is this sort of thinking is completely impractical for the person who only takes one or two trips a year. I am sure some of my talking points seem ridiculous to the either the rare to occassional traveler and the minimalists who wants just one bag vs someone like me who believes in having the right tool for every job.

At the end of the day though neither philosophy is going to solve all of your travel woes. There is no one perfect bag or system and only when you combine the right choice of bag with the right additional gear (everything from wardrobe to tech has to be well thought out) and then combine those two things with the proper trip planning do things actually start to come together in a satisfactory way.

On top of that...luck also plays a factor in how things go when traveling.