FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - LH only as good as weakest link - Baggage service
Old Jun 10, 2019, 4:39 am
Christefan

Programs: UA: 1K 1.5MM, DL: LTDM 3.5MM, JB: Mosaic4, LH: exSEN 1MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite, Hertz PresC
Angry LH only as good as weakest link - Baggage service

Bags can misconnect but how LH handles this misfortune defines the overall airline. My family of 3 with a 15 month old baby was traveling from Berlin to Miami on 7 June where all of their checked bags misconnected in FRA. After having waited at the baggage belt in MIA for the last bag to appear (A380 aircraft), the airline told my family that their bags had misconnected and would come as soon as possible, most likely on the next day direct flight. What happened next was a bunch of confusing emails about the bags status including the bags would arrive the same night and that the delivery address couldn't be found. The LH app did not display any information using the international baggage file key which was different from the information on the website. The bags arrived in fact the next day on LH462 but were not updated in the system until later that evening. It took now 26 more hours to hear again from LH baggage service because of bad weather (on the ground??). Trying to contact the MIA station via phone was unsuccessful. On the evening of 9 June suddenly a text message was sent that the driver was outside the gate of the destination address. Multiple conversations between us, LH baggage service and their subcontracting delivery company did not turn up the driver and so the bags were never delivered. Now 72 hours after the completion of the flight and 48 hours after the bags touched down in MIA, still LH has not delivered the bags to my family. The quality of subcontractors along with airline's resources at many of the international destinations do define the overall quality of service and the brand of the airline. In this case LH has failed the communicated standards for a caring quality airline. To be continued.