FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Personal liability insurance during travel
Old Jun 9, 2019, 9:20 pm
OskiBear

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by invisible
Have to repeat again.
No, I do not have either house or car, I am living outside of US for last >7 years without owning a car and I am renting my place all the time.
No, I do not have any umbrella insurance, because where I live such thing does not exist (and if it did, it would not cover liability outside of the country of the residence) and I have no property in US.

Understood, but I do not want to fall into scare tactics 'buy this otherwise you will die next day'.

However, I would appreciate if you explain what 'Non-owned policies' means.
It should be a "non-owner" policy, which is to cover those who don't own a vehicle (thus not having their own vehicle with associated liability coverage) while they are driving a vehicle they don't own. In many, but not all cases, your auto liability coverage from your primary auto may extend to while you are driving a vehicle you don't own. However, those who simply don't own a vehicle won't have this as an option, thus the "non-owner" type of policy.

"Non-Owned" vehicle coverage is a wholly different issue and is typically part of a commercial auto policy where the business owner/employer is covered for liability arising out of an employee's use of a personal auto while in the conduct of the company's business. With a single letter difference between "non-owned" and "non-owner", they can be confused at times.