FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - When does AirAsia weigh your carry on: At check-in or before boarding?
Old Jun 9, 2019, 7:16 am
moondog
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by dvs7310
I think a large portion of the flying public is quite annoyed by an enforced 7kg carry on limit, regardless of being published or not. It's an absurd limit, you can pretty much have a standard size carry on rollaboard and only be able to put a few pairs of sock and underwear at that weight. If Air Asia is counting the personal item in this, that makes it even more unreasonable since a PC with charger weighs a couple kilos all by itself, without a case or any other accessories.

I've generally been quite lucky with this, only had Jetstar (Singapore) and CI (ex-MNL) check before. ET tried back when they had the 767s, but seemingly didn't care how many pieces you had, so long as none were over 7kg each, so I broke it out in several pieces to get past the checkers and put it all back together inside the gate area. (that was ex-BKK, the one and only time I've seen ET bat an eye).
I personally love the 7 kg rule, and wish more airlines adopted it, because it facilitates fast boarding and deplaning.