FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]
Old Jun 8, 2019, 8:55 pm
N104UA

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by msmoxie
Wouldn't wait to see if there's a better offer at check-in? Ideally, I'd love to just use cash and save my miles, but not paying the ThousandOfDollars upgrade...

Also, how do I tell if this upgrade would give additional PQM or PQS?
You won't find an offer that is for less miles, in addition I would say there is an under 1% chance that the check in offer will be less than $1k. I would guess it is closer to $2k, if one is available at all at check-in.

It really just depends on how much you like to gamble and how much you value your miles. But if you want to fly business for 16 hours (which you can do for 1,875 miles + $18.75 per hour), I don't think it is a good bet to wait, especially when the offer is confirmed (if the space is still there). The cash upgrade you posted is $2,444 so if you value 30,000 at more than $2,144, then you should wait, but that value is almost $0.07 per mile which is incredible. Right now UA is willing to sell me 30,000 miles for $1,050, so even if you bought the miles to pay for the upgrade you would still come out $1,100 ahead.

IMHO regarding saving the miles, we don't know what is going to happen come Nov 15 when UA goes to a dynamic award chart and upgrade model, so holding on to your miles for something better is another gamble.