FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 12th Annual WineDo - Sunday June 2, 2019 NYC - North Square (4 seats available)
Old Jun 8, 2019, 7:14 pm
dhammer53
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by DLroads
I assume that at some point, someone would also post the tasting notes :-)
Notes? You want notes? @:-) This year was a tough year for note taking (for me). 22 people with 24 bottles. The wine kept flowing. I was up and down like a yo-yo, even with help from EastBay1k and calcifer.

mjm makes fun of me for the way I write notes. mjm says she can interpret them. I took a few brief notes, and eventually lost track of what I was drinking; so notes wouldn't be accurate.

Here goes:

NV J Lasalle was a nice starter Champagne. A little flat, with some fruit showing.
2006 Taittinger Comtes was a nice wine. I'm glad 3 of us went in on this.
2015 Kuentz was dry, some say sweet, with a little oak. This was a nice wine that I enjoyed.
2012 Schloss had a fruit nose - apricot
2015 Donnhoff - no notes
2014 A Christmann GG - no notes

Reds
2011 Myriad - yum.
2009 Bedrock was very nice
2001 Katnook was yummy.
1985 BV was musty on opening, but tasted just ok. After a 60 minute decant, the smell and taste were both musty.
2005 Prager Port was smooth. cordelli turned me onto them 10+ years ago. HPN-HRL brought this.
Other reds > no notes.

Up thread, where the wines are listed, monitor did a switch and brought something else (not noted).
stockmanjr was a last minute addition. His wines aren't listed.

It's not a perfect world, but we all managed. There were 6 new faces at dinner, and 5 of them sat at the same table. viridianne, FlyerStef, and plainsman seemed to have an enjoyable time. It was nice meeting them. It was nice hanging out with the regulars, and nice to see violist make a return appearance.

As long as the food continues to be good, and the price is fair, we'll be back at North Square next year. Time to start thinking about a theme.

Best.
Dan

I don't have any comments written for anything else, so we'd appreciate your notes. I'd also appreciate filling in on what I wrote above.

My WOTN (Wine of the Night) was the 30 or so year old (and $12.99 half bottle) Yalumba Muscat Dessert wine from Australia. This was a dark amber color that had a 60+ second finish. It was oh so good. By the way, back in those days, I would spend under $10 a bottle. So $12.99 for a half was expensive.

I appreciate the help offered going forward in 2020. It was suggested that the person that brings the wine do the pouring. I think that's a genius idea.
The other idea is to re-visit WineDo11 (2018), where we had 12 for dinner.

While I liked the R&R theme, I think we needed more starter whites.

Last edited by dhammer53; Jun 8, 2019 at 7:20 pm