FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Mexico, my haven
View Single Post
Old Jun 8, 2019, 9:51 am
bhrubin
Suspended

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Hear, hear to @KatW!

Mexico is also one of my favorites. I’m not fluent but I can speak functionally in Spanish, and I absolutely love the Mexican culture and people as well as the spectacular beauty of the Mexican landscapes and seascapes. The proximity to us via our local SNA or even LAX airports makes it even better for me. My husband prefers Hawaii, but me being the wife means I almost always win.

We are returning to Mexico in Jan 2020 for my 50th bday celebration for our first stays at Chable Yucatán and Hotel Esencia Tulum. A hearty thanks to @BESVISOR as well as @MacMyDay and his beautiful Lucie for their recommendations and guidance in our selection of those properties.

My favorites in Mexico thus far:

Zihuatanejo. Only stayed at Villa Del Sol but dying to try La Case Que Canta. It’ll happen soon.

Punta Mita. We vastly prefer the St Regis over the Four Seasons, partly for the adults only pool at the StR, the better F&B at the StR, and the more dramatic shoreline of the StR, not to mention my Marriott Ambassador status affording us all sorts of upgrade and other VIP privileges there. But both properties are lovely. The Imanta Resort outside Punta Mita is another great property for F&B options, as is the surprisingly good F&B and much nicer swimming beach at the W Punta de Mita that is 20 min away.

Mexico City. I was surprised by how much I loved the city. The food and hotels are world class. I prefer the very modern and spacious St Regis largely because of its wonderful service and incredible bar and terrace, but the Four Seasons and Las Alcobas both offer a more authentic Mexican feel.

We look forward to trying Las Alamandas and San Miguel de Allende at some point in the future, too. Oaxaca is also on our radar.