FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old Jun 8, 2019, 9:29 am
miniliq

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
Originally Posted by WHBM
These are the DC-3s that are here

https://www.daksovernormandy.com/aircraft

It's a shame there aren't more from the UK. About 10 years ago some new European regulations cleared most of them out, when an operator Air Atlantique had a fleet of about 8, used on various tasks. However, I note their chief pilot of those times, Andrew Dixon, is the overall co-ordinator of the flying aspects of the event.
Thanks for the coverage WHBM -- what a great event.
It also made me dig through my files to reminisce about DC-3 flights I had experienced: the first one in 1965 in Libya -- LAVCO (Libyan Aviation Company) from Marsa Brega (LMQ) to Benghazi (BEN); the second in 1968 when my wife and I flew on Gibair (Gibraltar Airlines -- I'm sure you are familiar with its roots in England) from GIB to Tangier, Morocco (TNG) for a short visit during a Christmas holiday in southern Spain after a week's work in Bordeaux; then several company charter trips for my wife and me in Indonesia in 1969 between Jakarta (JKT) and Palembang (PLM), where I had a one-month assignment. I also thought I had flown DC-3s in East Texas in 1966 (especially HOU-LFT) on TTA, but can't find any equipment designation in my (poor) early records. JLemon can probably tell us whether TTA had DC-3 service those days. Never got to experience the DC-3 float planes though. My poor early records also don't contain details about the Beavers and Otters that were used in remote Middle East Areas, but I do have a few photos to trigger those memories. Keep up the discussions!