FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Staying on Explore Rate but got "walked"
View Single Post
Old Jun 7, 2019, 6:13 am
MePlatPremier

Originally Posted by hhoope01
Probably a true statement for elite benefits, but Marriott hotels also have a general "walk" set of rules they have to follow (i.e. first night free at a close-by comparable hotel, transportation to that new hotel, etc.). And those rules I would think still apply as they are not tied to the Bonvoy program, but to all persons staying. And I suspect that is why the hotel called and asked the OP to cancel the reservation themselves. By doing so, the hotel doesn't have to deal with walking the OP and gets out of finding a comparable hotel and paying for that first night.
that wasn’t OP’s question, and appears not be an issue here as OP made other arrangements. Had s/he wanted to be walked somewhere else s/he would have told the hotel so. Btw, the Explore rate provides for a walk to a hotel at a comparable rate, not to a “comparable hotel” at Marriott’s lower discounted rate. OP wants to know if s/he is entitled to points as compensation, while ‘generously’ offering to waive any pecuniary compensation. S/he isn’t, either because the rate terms explicitly exclude it or because s/he isn’t eligible to receive any elite benefits for that stay.