FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Car rental insurance confusions
View Single Post
Old Jun 6, 2019, 1:13 am
STA3123

Originally Posted by Qwkynuf
No, your credit card should cover, because it covers *you*. It is assuming your personal liability.

Try this:
  • You rent a car on university business
  • Scenario 1: You run a stop sign and total someone's 1992 Geo Metro (thankfully, no one hurt)
    • The rental company's basic liability covers the full cost of the damage to the Geo
    • Your credit card doesn't get involved because it is "secondary" insurance and only comes into play if the rentals company's maxes out.
    • You are on the hook for any damage to the rental that you are driving, unless your university's agreement includes CDW or you have paid separately for it.
  • Scenario 2: You run a stop sign and total someone's 2019 Porsche Carerra (thankfully, no one hurt)
    • The rental company's basic liability covers the cost of the damage to the Porsche, up to their liability limit.
    • Your credit card is "secondary" insurance and pays any excess damage costs up to their own liability limit.
    • If your credit card insurance maxes out and there is still damage to pay for, your personal auto liability would cover (if you have it)
    • If you don't have personal liability insurance, you are on the hook for any remaining costs
    • You are on the hook for any damage to the rental that you are driving, unless your university's agreement includes CDW or you have paid separately for it.
Got it! I'll confirm with my credit card to see if they would cover. I think last time I checked with Citibank's Costco Visa Credit Card, and I remember the rep saying something along the lines of me having to use the card to pay for the rental in full, decline the rental's CDW, in order for the insurance to be in effect. I thought there was something about the credit card company also not being able to cover if you paid at a discounted rate, but on second thought, I might be misremembering that.