FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Car rental insurance confusions
View Single Post
Old Jun 6, 19, 12:42 am
dzdang

Originally Posted by Toshbaf View Post
Question 1

In the US, the car rental company provides liability coverages. The insurance that they sell is technically not insurances but CDW (collision damage waiver). Sometimes, they will sell extra liability coverages.

Liability coverage is to pay for the other driver injuries and damaged car if you are at fault.

If you don't buy CDW, you have to pay for the damages to the rental car.

Question 2
Additional driver not covered unless you tell the car rental company. They will ask to see that person's drivers license and also put that person's name on the paperwork. That person will have to be present at the time of rental.

If someone cheats and does not tell the rental car company about the 2nd driver, if there is a collision, they may be able to force you to pay for everything.

Some credit card companies cover CDW if you use the credit card for the rental.
Thanks for explaining. I always get confused about insurances coverages, especially since it's been years since I've had auto insurance, and I've never had my own insurance.

Regarding Question 1. I would pay for the rental with my credit card and book it through the University, either with National or Enterprise. The car rental company would designate that my University is covering the insurance on the car. But since I paid for it with my credit card (which does have the normal car rental insurance coverages, but idk how it works in this case), does my credit card also provide another layer of insurance? This is probably a unique question that I should check with my credit card company?

Regarding Question 2. Isn't it usually free to add additional drivers? Or at least it has been in my case. If so, then why would people cheat?