FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Car rental insurance confusions
View Single Post
Old Jun 5, 2019, 11:58 pm
STA3123

Car rental insurance confusions

I have a couple of confusions regarding car rental insurance. This is for car rentals in the U.S.

Question 1:
My University provides car insurance if booked through the University's website (it links to Enterprise/National). However, my University recently changed its policy that it will only offer insurance for the car rental if the renter is conducting university travel. It used to be such that they also provided insurance for personal travel.

I feel like there are some gray areas with this program. Say that I'm on a university travel for some academic conference. During the middle of the conference, I go to a nearby entertainment area (clearly not FOR university travel, but I guess I am still ON university travel) and something happens. I asked my University what would happen in this circumstance and was told that the University insurance would not be applicable here, and that my personal auto insurance would kick in. However, I don't have personal auto insurance. So does that effectively make it illegal for me to drive the car in this scenario, since I am technically uninsured?

Question 2:
This is not related to Question 1.
It seems car rental insurances typically insure the car and not the person driving. So say I am the primary renter on a car and I purchase the rental companies' auto insurance. If I add a secondary driver, is that driver also covered by the auto insurance?