FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - WARNING: Watch out for fuel re-charge scam at Avis
Old Jun 5, 2019, 5:39 am
kmersh

Originally Posted by aerophil
Always take a photo of the fuel gauge and all sides of the vehicle when you return it. That way you can prove that the tank was full and there was no damage.

I have had car rental companies try to charge me for non existing damage a couple of times.
I once would have agreed and with other rental agencies I still do, but AVIS is a different ball game at this point. In my three experiences so far, the fuel gauge has read full, even the return attendant agreed that it read full, but his handheld said otherwise and I was charged. He said that the fuel gauge does not matter, it is what the computer reports to his handheld that matters and it is more precise than the fuel gauge, which I think is complete BS but it is their policy as of now.

I should point out that my most recent AVIS rental dropped just below full when I exited the gate, so, so much for ensuring that now all cars exit the gate completely full.