FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AC imposes 'no fly' ban, demands $18K from woman after ticket scam
Old Jun 5, 2019, 2:55 am
frogster

Programs: *G, OWS
Originally Posted by Fiordland
If Ctrip and Agoda are legitimate WeChat business names then why not MrCool. We live in a world today where business try to be friendly online, so I think the name is not that unusual.

The issue here is she paid money for her ticket. She is not profiting from crime. If AC was on the ball they should have gone to her and said: "We don't want people selling our tickets on Wechat by taking the money of our customers and paying us with stolen credit cards. We want you to help us catch this person."

They should be able to follow the financial trail of where here money went. That the person they need to go after.
Not sure if it’s that clear cut.

Good faith regulations vary widely from jurisdiction to jurisdiction and I’m not sure which regulations apply here (depending on the exact circumstances it could even be argued that the transaction took part in China).

Can it be convincingly argued that the traveler believed to have purchased the ticket in good faith? With the arguments above about the prevalence of WeChat purchases in China and the fact that employee pricing is made available to customers in other industries that can certainly be argued. If they could identify the reseller he would definately be primarily responsible but I would not discount the chance that the coustomer would be found liable if the reseller could not be identified or is unwilling / unable to pay.

I assume even Air Canada isn’t quite sure that the customer is legally responsible for the fare – which is why they haven’t sued her and “only” blocked her from taking further flights with Air Canada.