FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AC imposes 'no fly' ban, demands $18K from woman after ticket scam
Old Jun 4, 2019, 9:24 am
robsaw

Originally Posted by sunzi
I disagree with the opinions of others on this thread.

Just because someone buys an employee discount ticket, doesn't mean they should have known that it was suspect. Maybe to her, she might believe employees are allowed to buy discount tickets for others.

I agree that she should have done her due diligence but she probably doesn't know all the in and outs of air travel like most posters on this forum. To her, she saw tickets at a good price and purchased it. We know often in these cases, it is too good to be true but if everyone was so diligent we wouldn't have all these cases of people falling for fraud and scams all the time unfortunately.

Air Canada should beef up their anti-fraud techniques rather than going after her since it took them over a year to find out.
Not an unreasonable opinion BUT I think the case is more akin to unknowingly depositing a bad cheque, spending the money, the bank reversing the deposit and the depositor having to make good on the bad cheque. The bank is within its rights to do exactly that and the depositor's action is against the person issuing the bad cheque. Similar here, AC is right to claim against the person passing the bad ticket - that person then has to go after the entity that provided them that bad ticket. Might seem unfair but I do believe legally AC's action is proper - may not be good PR though; and similarly for banks, they MAY take the loss for bad cheques in certain circumstances.