FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - F meals not catered on 1000 mile flight
View Single Post
Old Jun 4, 2019, 9:11 am
Dr. HFH
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by GNRMatt
Ok, let's go with your example. For your McDonald's example, I actually had something similar happen to me at Wendy's. They forgot to put Fries in my drive thru order. I didn't realize it until I got home. I called the manager of the store and asked for a refund of the fries portion since I paid for it. Instead of just refunding me the dollar and change for it, he mailed me a $10 gift card. That was what I call good customer service and a company actually making things right when making a mistake.
One huge difference here is that you selected and paid separately for everything in your purchase, including the fries. You didn't pay separately for the AA meal; it wasn't itemized separately from the plane ride.

The problem is AA screwed up. This has nothing to do with travel. This has to do with AA promising a meal when making a booking. They did not deliver and they should do something to make up for that. As a consumer, it is up to me to determine what that is and work with AA on a fair resolution. To me, it's more than just the cost of the meal, but the fact that I was expecting a meal and now had to go a few hours without it because of their mistake.
But you had an agreement with AA. Did the agreement commit AA to providing a meal?

I'll ask you a similar question...why is it that some on here think that consumers shouldn't receive any compensation for anything that isn't related to just getting from point A to point B? Shouldn't a company deliver on any promises it makes?
Aren't the "promises" what it is obligated to do in the contract of carriage? Why would we expect compensation for anything not specified there?

But you raise an interesting point, and perhaps the same one that I've been wondering about, just from a different perspective. Why do we treat travel providers differently from the way that we treat other merchants with whom/which we do business?