FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sleeping In-Flight (NYC to KEF)?
View Single Post
Old Jun 2, 2019, 8:41 am
RJS5689

Sleeping In-Flight (NYC to KEF)?

I'll be leaving from JFK at about 8:20pm and flying to KEF (Iceland). My flight time is about 5.5 hours and Iceland is 4 hours ahead of NYC. This means I land at about 5:55am local time, but to my body it will feel like it's approximately 2:00am. I have a friend who lands 3.5 hours after I do and was planning to stay at the airport so we can head to our AirBnb in Reykjavik together.

I tend to stay awake on flights because I've occasionally had ear/sinus problems (I now wear Earplanes, take a Sudafed and spray Afrin before departure and repeat if the flight time requires it).

I'm trying to figure out what my best strategy should be for optimal rest and minimal downtime/drowsy time. Do I try to get some shuteye on board? Do I stay awake the whole time and sleep when we arrive in Reykjavik (though I'll have been awake essentially overnight at that point)? Maybe I can find somewhere around KEF to get a few hours of shuteye until my friend deplanes and is ready for pickup?

Any advice from travelers who have been in this similar situation is greatly appreciated!

Last edited by RJS5689; Jun 2, 2019 at 8:43 am Reason: Typos corrected