FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}
Old Jun 1, 2019, 10:29 pm
Kannai

Programs: UA Gold (1K 2016–2023 by miracle extensions; RIP 1K status), 1MM
Originally Posted by jsloan
It's possible. That ticket would go off to the rate desk; if they're paying attention, they'd basically do the audit that I was talking about. If they're not, or if they can't figure out what happened to the ticket to get it in its current state, they might just give you the quote for a half-round-trip up-fare to W. (For example, they might assume it was an op-up or something).

So, at a minimum, I'd have the expectation that I'd need to pay the round-trip W fare if I were to call back.

The bigger concern is that some agents seem to get personally offended if they think that you're trying to "cheat" the company, so you may end up with a particularly unhelpful agent.
It's a bit late to follow up on this but while I was slightly nervous until the doors closed on the outbound flight nothing ever happened. Somehow I got Polaris for free even though I attempted to buy up to W and use a GPU.

For the return, I decided not to risk things and used that GPU, which was never taken, to upgrade to Premium Plus, which didn't require me to buy up to a specific economy fare. I consider that a huge win, Polaris one way and PP the other all on a cheap transpac econ fare for a single GPU.

Thanks again for the reassurance.