FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - TSA Changes Rules on Medical Cannabis (Quietly)
Old Jun 1, 2019, 3:12 pm
FliesWay2Much
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by petaluma1
I fail to see the same "fixation" as you apparently see. What I see is a failure of anyone from TSA being able to point to the federal law that requires TSA screeners to report suspected drugs.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/suzanne.../#1910a99831e6
Originally Posted by chollie
That never really made sense to me. If you are a federal worker who knows the law being broken is a federal law, why are the local authorities summoned? They have no jurisdiction and less knowledge of federal laws than federal LEs. Unless local muscle is needed to physically secure the accused pax until the federal authorities arrive, I can't see why they would or should be involved.
In my 42 years in the federal government, I have NEVER received a briefing or read a directive that REQUIRED me to reports illegal substances or anything else. Remember that the TSA also applied this "federal law" to large amounts of cash and asserted that EVERY federal employee had the same reporting requirements as clerks.

Back in the early days (1980s) I was told, as an Air Force officer, to look for dilated pupils (no joke!) in the enlisted troops as a sign of drug use. Also, anyone who missed a lot of Mondays by being sick "probably" had a substance abuse problem.