FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Global Entry Kiosks Declarations and Food Questions
Old May 31, 2019, 11:10 pm
blue_can

Originally Posted by N1120A
California airports, from the perspective of what you are undoubtedly legally required (as opposed to a sleazy catch all that would probably not pass muster if ever challenged, if anyone wanted to go through that pain) to declare, are not more strict as to what you need to declare. They MAY be more strict as to what you would be allowed to keep after said declaration and inspection. Now, I will say that my experience is that I'm more consistently asked about "food" by inspectors at SFO, in particular, than most other airports in the US, including at LAX and SAN. My guess is that it is related to some sort of directive there, as well as a heightened consciousness of the differences in California's agricultural import laws than other countries.
I've landed at SAN around the 2003 - 2004 time frame arriving from the UK and all residents and citizens bags were subject to an agriculture x-day. I went through a period of not flying direct to SAN on an international flight. More recently I've started taking the SAN - LHR flight and they don't seem to do that kind of inspection anymore.

I've also been stopped by agriculture inspection on the I-15 driving to San Diego from Las Vegas and asked if I was carrying any fruit.