FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AMEX Priority Pass will exclude Restaurants (August 2019)
Old May 30, 2019, 8:41 am
STS-134

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by s0ssos
So basically Amex is balking at the difference in fees in restaurants vs lounges? Restaurants costs more.
Well that's only because PP is offering like $25+ worth of credits per visit. Last year, I ran up $120 worth of charges in about 15 days (but that happened to be it for the year for me). Just so happened that all of my flying in/out of SFO after they rolled out the restaurant credit happened within a 15 day time span. But honestly, each time, I actually ordered appetizers and other sorts of extras because I hadn't yet hit the limit. I'd have thought that this benefit was pretty cool even if it was $10-15 off a meal, or if it came in the form of a 25-50% discount on menu prices. So I don't know what the big deal is about restaurants. They could easily make this the policy for example:

1. Find out what a typical lounge visit costs. Make that the amount of discount that is offered at restaurants.

2. If visiting a specific airport, you must decide whether you want to visit a restaurant OR visit the lounges on that calendar day on any specific PP account. Once you visit a lounge at that airport on a calendar day, you cannot use the benefit at a restaurant, and vice versa. MULTIPLE lounge visits on the same day would be OK, but only ONE restaurant visit OR multiple lounge visits but not both restaurants and lounges.

There are a lot of ways to curb abuse without yanking the benefit entirely. AMEX is using a nuclear weapon to do this when a firecracker will do.