FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Am I supposed to receive a free night certificate? (August renewal SPG credit card)
Old May 29, 2019, 3:51 pm
bgriff

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by yoketone
OK, escalated to a supervisor who checked with the new "Marriottt AMEX Liason"

Although my anniversary date was August 11 on my SPG Personal Amex, I'm not entitled to a free night because it hadn't been converted to a Bonvoy Amex yet.

Is this BS, or have others heard the same?
That is ludicrous, though not much more ludicrous than many of the other things made up by Marriott's abysmal call center these days. I also still have a purple card, but like everyone else, my Amex.com account shows that is is now a Bonvoy Amex since there is no such thing as an SPG Amex any more.

If you can't get any resolution with the call center, you could try working with the Flyertalk Lurkers, who are still as helpful as they've ever been, fortunately.

That said, as was discussed earlier in this thread, did your SPG Amex annual fee bill on August 11? There is some delay between the actual account opening anniversary date and the day the annual fee is billed, and if your actual anniversary is July 31 or earlier I believe you would not have been entitled to a free night until your anniversary this year. There were some mixed data points about how this played out for people who were on the cusp last year. Amex (which still has mostly competent customer service, unlike Marriott) should be able to tell you what your actual account anniversary is.