FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Spire Elite Status + Executive Lounge access
Old May 29, 2019, 2:42 pm
IAN-UK
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
I think you paint an overly rosy picture of Hilton......

....Finally you are kidding about LT status at Hilton being easy to achieve, they lost 2 years of my stay history and despite 16 years of Diamond I seem to be another 15 years off at my current stay patterns.

Whatever the imperfections of IHG (and they are myriad) on a practical basis I tend to find that I get better and more consistent treatments as a RA/Spire/Kimpton IC than I do at any of the other chains I hold status.

You seem to have misunderstood or misread my post. I'm not comparing RA benefits with Diamond benefits. I'm happy to declare RA and IC one of the best combinations in the hotel world.

My message is a simple one. If you are a Spire and/or Ambassador you might get some form of upgrade on paid stays, but you will not be be offered breakfast, and you will not be given lounge access at IHG hotels that follow programme rules, and that's mot of them. At those hotels that follow the rules, you'll get diddly squat on award stays.

But if you are Hilton Diamond, roughly the equivalent of Spire/Ambassador, you are certain to receive breakfast on (virtually) all stays and get lounge access at any hotels with lounges. And you'll receive those benefits, including room upgrades, on award stays.

When it comes to awards, IHG restricts this to entry level rooms. At many Hilton properties you can opt to use more points to book fancier accommodation.

There are of course awkward elements to the HH programme. I'm not trying to paint it in a rosy glow. I simply suggest if you want certainty and consistency when it comes to benefits, and a wider range of benefits, you are more likely to find these in the Hilton programme.

If you value the ability to earn extra points then that's what you'll get that from IHG.

Oh, and I didn't say lifetime Diamond is easy to attain. I said it can be attained: it exists.
IHG Ambassador/Priority Club has no concept of lifetime membership.