FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Canada AMEX Platinum - new residency requirement for Insurance coverage
Old May 29, 2019, 6:58 am
zrh2yvr

Programs: AC SE 100K
Canada AMEX Platinum - new residency requirement for Insurance coverage

Just got a note that all the insurance coverages on the Canadian American Express card will no longer be available non-Residents of Canada. Some of us Platinum cardholders move around a lot - and are not residents right now. But - we still use this as our primary card and use if for all the benefits and insurance coverage types. This includes CDW/LDW for rental car as well as Baggage and Flight delay. One has to also remember that many of us are non-residents as it is a tax strategy - but we do have ties to Canada and have a financial structure that revolves around Canada.

For me this is a 100% deal breaker to keep the card - including no longer using the Amex Platinum travel desk. I am not a low spender and I wonder why they have gone out of their way to add this requirement - after >15 years as a cardholder - for me it may have to come to an end. Are there any other of you out there - Canadian Amex Platinum cardholder and non-resident? For me I just have to really question what they were thinking - Plus - all my tickets for the next 12 months are already issued - paid for on the card - expecting the coverage - and now they withdraw it with ~90 days notice?