FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - San Salvador Airport Layover Questions
View Single Post
Old May 28, 2019, 8:29 pm
ricktoronto

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by dfwtexasusa
Let's say I have flights on Avianca from the US to SAL with a 3 hour connection and then head to Colombia. I have a checked bag and a carry on.
Is it my understanding that I will not have to claim my checked bag and it will simply go to the next international flight? Also, assuming I don't need to claim my checked bag can I exit the airport with just my carry on? I understand at that time I will need to pass immigration and customs. I basically would show them my boarding pass for the next flight and tell them I am stepping outside to get acquainted with the airport in the meantime. Has anyone done something like this at this specific airport?
I did this at the Tocumen airport in Panama City without any problems. Just wondering about SAL as I've never been there.
I thank you for your input.
Do not claim bag.
No point literally in exiting. It is not near the city. There's nothing out there to see. It must be 30 km from San Salvador.

The only place nearby is quite a good Quality Inn which is a $5 taxi ride away. Good for overnight connections which I used to do a lot.

You have to clear immigration, buy a tourist card, clear customs for what? Then back through security and passport control. For 3 hours (of which you will need 90 minutes for all this faffing about) they might think you are a bit nutty TBH.
And not a country you want attention from the authorities. It is a big drug transit problem location for starters (the US has a US Navy anti narcotrafficking aircraft stationed at SAL) and they might question why you want to step out to nowhere for half an hour with a suitcase.

Edit: to leave and deliver a package to someone. I would not tell immigration or customs that. In transit to Colombia no less.
If it's that important then have him buy a ticket, check in and meet you inside the terminal. He can leave and get a refund later.

I had their currency sniffing dog stop me due to having coins (not even bills) from Trinidad in my rollaboard. (Sidebar: they agreed, upon reflecting on it, training dogs to sniff coins might be going too far vs. just bills). I can imagine, Hi, I am going to Bogota but I want to step out to an absolutely boring place, and deliver a package to someone for 15 minutes, that's not suspicious it it guys?

Maybe tell them you collect entry stamps from other countries and it's worth the $10. Also be aware about English - if you do not speak Spanish is really hit and miss in SAL with immigration, customs and coin sniffing dog handlers being quite poor in the English speaking department. Nothing like SJO , and very much like MGA.

Last edited by ricktoronto; May 28, 2019 at 8:39 pm