FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Interlining star alliance, separate tickets
Old May 28, 2019, 7:42 am
AnthonyGT

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
You need to change terminals in Narita, provided you have no hold luggage or your luggage is checked through, there is an airside bus between the terminals. You will need your onward boarding pass for this bus.

If you have luggage that is not checked through, and pending no delays, it is still a reasonable connection. Even if you have to go through immigration twice, and wait for luggage and have customs clearance. If you need to reclaim luggage, you will need to enter Japan, so make sure you have a passport or a visa that allows that

ANA may actually check luggage through to JAL. Though there is no guarantee you will be successful.

As pointed out, as you are on separate tickets, you will be a no show in case of a delay on the first flight, and you need to consider if you want to run that risk.
Thank you for the very detailed response, it was very helpful!

I'll have to talk to my better half and see how much risk she is willing take. I'm willing to go for it, although the aspect of getting my onward boarding pass for the airside bus upon arrival seems like it would be a bit challenging.