FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Bringing McDonald's food into BA first class
Old May 27, 2019, 4:12 pm
Howard Long

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
Originally Posted by T8191
Returning to the Topic ( ) it is slightly more acceptable, but still IMO wrong!

Would I take, to a half-decent restaurant, my own little pack of cheese and some biscuits? No!
I think it's more nuanced than that.

I have a work acquaintance of mine who I no longer invite to meals because he doesn't understand the concept that in general you don't take your own food into restaurants. I find it frankly embarrassing, I'd rather not be there.

If it means you are sitting there eating your own food rather than their own. and it leaves them out of pocket as a result, I would say it's taking the pizza. But you're on a plane, nobody is financially worse off.

I have sometimes taken on board my own fine wine in the past for the crew to serve, and sometimes take on things like caviar and cheese if I think I'm going to be served crap. As it's no negative cost to them, I don't see the problem.

It's not unusual for some fine dining restaurants offer corkage, particularly on slower nights.

Here's one specific fairly unique example where I do take my own food into a restaurant. At the Maze Grill near me (a Ramsay establishment) I take my own HP sauce in for breakfast because they don't serve it. Otherwise the breakfast is very good, and it's why I return. Now, if they were sensible, they'd have sent someone to the Tesco Metro 100yds down the road and had some in stock. But as they don't see that far, I bring my own. I think they just think I'm a bit eccentric. I guess I am!

For me the key question is whether it impinges on the other passengers, and frankly Maccy D's can be smelly. I also totally agree with negative comments about people eating on the Tube, the perps might not be aware of it but it's not nice to smell second hand kebabs, or any other food for that matter. Sitting close to a nut eater on the Tube for some reason I find particularly nauseating, possibly because you know the smell is the second hand result of mastication.