FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort [Master Thread]
Old May 24, 2019, 4:26 am
TalkingPoint

Programs: AS 100k, BA GGL, UA 1k, DL DM, AC SE, B6 Mosaic4, Hyatt/Hilton/Wyndham/IHG Diamond, Marriot Ti
Got upgraded to SOWV from GV. Know the new GM from Phulay Bay so he also threw in a few freebies. Favorite spot to snorkel has been right past the whale bar where the reef drops off. Lots of sharks and fish in the morning and evenings. Snorkeled from the reception pier to the JJA and down back to the dive shop and you can't really go wrong anywhere. Probably not for beginners because the water can get quite choppy. Hoping I see a sea turtle but they're pretty rare. Stingrays, eels, and sharks all come up to the beach in front of Alba. All of the dining options are well worth the price considering the location. Interactions with staff have been excellent. Caught a couple lobsters and had them cooked at Orientale that were perfect. They also have a mini mart in the village with prices much lower than the boutique shop. It's mostly meant for the staff who live on the island but if you need to pick up personal items you can do so there without the markup. Had mostly snacks and personal toiletries and cigarettes for prices that you'd expect back in Male. Will take the morning flight to Dubai so I'll miss breakfast on the last morning but our butler said you can just order whatever off room service and they comp it since Alba won't be open. Asked if I could tour the JJA but it's booked out for our whole stay. The bikes seem new and ride very well. Have left the bike around the island and it always shows up parked outside the room by morning. Was told that a majority of guests are actually booked on points and not cash. They open more than 4 rooms per night to deal with low occupancy so people should be able to find availability but not to expect upgrades if you're just Platinum or Titanium. Was invited to join management dinner at Cargo and got to learn more about life running the property. It was interesting to learn that most of them haven't stayed at other Marriott properties so this is the only property they really know. They shared how the Maldives is only getting more resorts and tourism numbers aren't keeping up. Specifically mentioned the other new Marriott family properties and the new WA and how they expect to feel the competition. Ideally they'd like to be at lower occupancy but due to the low award rates and how they get compensated by corporate they are booking as full as they can go so don't expect upgrades if you're not Ambassador or maybe Titanium. They do upgrade based on status but because most members with the points to stay here are Ambassador or Titanium, I wouldn't expect to get anything as a Platinum which is a common question I see mentioned. Wi-Fi is great out here so ask any questions and I can get specific answers.