FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Calculating the benefits of carry-on only
Old May 24, 2019, 2:25 am
akl_traveller

Originally Posted by moondog
Spending 10 minutes on email while waiting for your bag is no different than doing the same at a Starbucks.

When you started this thread, you posed the issue as a question, giving me the impression that you were genuinely interested in feedback. However, it's increasingly apparent that you have strong views, which you were hoping the forum would validate.

​​​​​​
I did take feedback, and as noted earlier, after a fairly substantial bit of analysis arrived at my three-value equation.

I have no preference either way, but I refuse to let someone completely invalidate a core principle of this sort of analysis, that time saved is value gained.
There are people here saying that avoiding time at a luggage carousel is irrelevant.
This basic truth is fundamental to so many policy decisions. Time is indeed money. Or, more correctly, time is utility, which can be analogised as money.
Sometimes, carry-on saves time. And yes, sometimes checked luggage gets lost. But a sober analysis compares the 100% probability of various time effects and the almost infinitesimal chance of luggage being lost.