FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Lifemiles serious booking problems - Beware (old legacy thread)
Old May 23, 2019, 6:06 pm
mlqsko

Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg333
Update: So finally I ticketed the Air India award I wanted to book. I was pleasantly surprised to receive a response on my email in a couple of hours. Then someone with an exotic South American accent called me from USofA ; provided me with availability, took my card details, and boom within half an hour I had the ticket in my mailbox. I still pushed them to search for an award availability on Swiss, because I could see that on United and Aeroplan (but not on LM). But as I was expecting it, they said they can't see any availability on Swiss metal.

All in all, I would say my first time experience of dealing with LM customer support to book an award, wasn't too bad. Before this I have only dealt with them once, when I emailed them to credit miles retrospectively for a travel on TK. Even then I was pleasantly surprised to have received a response on the same day of my email, and that too not a canned response! They actually credited miles to my account the same day I emailed them, which I don't think I have experienced with any other FF program. With such kind of experiences, I am not sure why I see moans and groans all around, on the Avianca forum on FT! But I trust you peeps here, so I assume I just lucky both times. Touch wood!

Anyway, there is something which you peeps can help me with. LM quoted me $25 more in taxes, than what I could see on their website. I tried arguing with the agent, but he was like "take it or leave it". Since I needed this ticket desperately, I agreed to pay $25 more. But please can someone tell me what this $25 charge is? Is it a levy for booking through the call centre, like what Alaska does?
https://www.lifemiles.com/terms-conditions
c. Redemption of Award Tickets in Airlines members of Star Alliance (including flights combined with routes of AVIANCA)

The charge for redemption of an Award Ticket through www.lifemiles.com with Star Alliance Airlines is US$ 25 + local taxes. Redemption of Award Tickets in other channels shall be subject to a redemption charge depending on the selected route, time in advance of the flight and Elite Status of the redeeming member.