FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Status extension for maternity/paternity/adoption
Old May 22, 2019, 3:11 am
ratypus

Programs: BAEC Gold
Worked well for me

- First child in 16/17: I was extended Gold at the first time of asking (but the baby's Avios never showed up: never mind)

- Second child in what was the tail end of my 17/18 "free extension" year, but I didn't get around to emailing BA until I was into my 18/19 year: was still Gold at that point since we had not passed through my Gold card end date, but I was technically into a new TP year when I was due to be dropped to Silver (for not flying enough TPs for Gold in my 17/18 'bonus' year) but BA replied to grant Gold for ALL of 18/19 and then another 'bonus' year for 19/20! Not bad.

I will have had 17/18, 18/19 and 19/20 all as 'bonus years', for only 2 kids...not bad.

To be fair, in each of those 'bonus' years I hit around 1,200 TPs anyway - so not a million miles from re-qualifying on my own account. And for the 19/20 TP year (the first year I need to count TPs again), I have close to 1,500 TPs already booked in the first 2 months and with work plans through 19/20 may end up somewhere close to 3-4,000 over the year. So it has probably worked out quite nicely for BA too.

In response to another question posed - when I emailed BA for the second child, I also asked for Mrs R to have her Silver status extended. BA agreed without question (so we both got an extension). That's quite handy, since with our eldest now past the second birthday, it's good to have another status card in the family so we can all at least get access to Silver / Sapphire lounges when we travel together.

Last edited by ratypus; May 22, 2019 at 3:19 am