Old May 21, 19, 7:49 pm
platbrownguy

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, Hyatt Diamond, M/SPG Plat Prem, National Exec Elite, mlife platinum
Originally Posted by Sophoclefr View Post
Was there again on Saturday night and they forgot to apply it at check out (but of course immediately did it when I pointed out).
Will be back tomorrow so will have a 3rd experience of the voucher usage in less than 10 days...

PS: will also have dinner at Pur for once...did you try the langoustine ravioli? Morels?
1. Yesterday a manager apologized for the confusion re: the voucher and said there were a couple of new folks working at the bar who didn't know not to take it. You get to keep and reuse the voucher for the whole stay (but only at bar, terrasse, and cheminee/lounge). I have been presenting it (or moreso just flashing it) when I ask for the check, and then the check comes with the 20% discount showing as a line item. Really takes the sting out of the 45 euro cognacs...

2. Pur was a commendable one-michelin-star meal. There were 4 of us, we did the full 8 courses with wine pairing (275 euro). There was a 3-bite starter (cheesy bread, sardine thing, and clam thing) and then a tuna tartare amuse bouche before course one. Then it was white asparagus (yum), abalone (perhaps the most tender I've ever had), duck foie gras (okay, relative to other 1* meals I've had -- but nothing really outstanding in the preparation), john dory fish (same), japanese wagyu (good but very fatty even for wagyu), cheese (amazing, see below -- this was the most memorable part, you can choose as many as you'd like from among 7 cow, 3 sheep, and 4 goat!), rhubarb dessert (great), and chocolate/olive oil dessert (great).The wine pairings were perfect and that was well worth the 90 euro component of the 275 euro price tag... plenty of wine, too (6 or 7 full pours?). The main difficulty was the thick accents of the servers when they spoke English -- of the 4 of us, only I speak French (and I'm fluent, so I ended up speaking with the servers in French), and the other three had a difficult time asking questions and understanding answers. (Indeed, I was better able to understand the servers in French than in English, it was that thick.) This wasn't a problem for me, and I don't think it affected the other diners' experience, but it was surprising considering how good (and indeed nearly unaccented) the English is among very many of the hotel staff including the staff at the bar & lounge. Perhaps we just had two outlier servers on a Monday night, who knows. All in all, good meal, but my general takeaway/thought is that if the most memorable part of the meal is the cheese board, then perhaps it's hard to justify doing the whole 8 course meal... still a great time, though!