Old May 21, 19, 5:51 am
yyzflyer

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA Plat 1MM
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger View Post
He said he had been told it is $10/room on award stays in both countries.
Sorry, I should clarify that I have no experience with an award stay in Canada per se, but assumed it would be the same as the US where I just completed a two-day points stay at the Courtyard San Francisco Downtown. Initially they offered me only $10 total for the stay, but after some back-and-forth agreed that it should be $10 per day "for the two of you". I understood this to mean $40 total. However, when I went to use it they clarified further that it was $10 total for both people per day. Fortunately the temporary front desk in this hotel is adjacent to the restaurant and the waiter took the card right over. I was told another $10 card would have been provided for an "additional paid guest" in the room, however since my spouse was not paying anything it was $10 for me only. After more discussion I was able to prevail, but it was made clear this was a one-time goodwill gesture. This actually made sense to me and I figured I had missed something in the fine print - which would of course apply equally in Canada.

My paid Courtyard stays in Canada since the policy change have yielded a $10CAD card for each person in the room and I did not question it until reading other posts in this thread. I do have an upcoming points stay at a Courtyard in Canada, so it will be interesting to see how they apply the policy.