FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Venice: Lorenzo Quinn's installation for Biennale 2019
Old May 20, 2019, 2:39 pm
obscure2k
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by iapetus
So what's the secret, particularly for those of us who don't know Venezia? Is it just planning ahead? Is it the ability to properly read a map? Or should I just resolve myself to being lost all week?

I'm also curious to know if this exhibit (and any others?) will still be on display in late June/early July.
Venice can be confusing even to those who know it well. I have difficulty reading maps. If I am unsure of the route, I ask concierge to write out the directions. This is particularly helpful when trying to find restaurant Antiche Carampane. I think this will be next to impossible to find looking at a map.However, if you have written directions, it is easy to find. You will look for little landmarks (e.g. small fountain), or big clock on hotel to right. This is the method which always works for me.....Directions to other places also might include turning right under first archway (sottoportego), and when you see big candy store on corner across of a bar, continue straight ahead. Well, I'm sure you get the idea. If one has a general idea of the direction, signs are ubiquitous with arrows directing you to the area of San Marco, Rialto, Accademia, etc. I have also found local shopkeepers to be helpful when I get off the beaten path. Only once has someone refused to help with directions unless I purchased something.