FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Tupolev 134 & 154 into Siberia + Yak-42, BA 789 J & S7 J
Old May 18, 2019, 11:43 pm
jlisi984

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
That's patently false. There is no such thing as needing no more vodka.
I have a good memory and will remind you of your wise words one day.

Originally Posted by mad_atta
Amazing photographs, especially considering how covertly you had to take them. I'm loving this. The Yak42 is such a relic. I had no idea it had those integrated rear airstairs.

So that photo through the porthole back to the stairs shows lots of light coming from around them - does that mean that area isn't really sealed at all, and it's the heavy 'submarine style' door (which your photo is taken through) which seals the cabin? If so it seems odd to have areas like that open to the wind and, presumably, adversely affecting the aerodynamics?
Yes, the rear airstair area is not sealed, the “submarine” door is the pressurisation point. I’m not sure if there are any negative impacts on aerodynamics, but one must remember Soviet engineering was focused on getting things to work and not to work best. As very well outlined in the book “Midnight in Chernobyl”, Soviet computers were so far behind their western counterparts that it took them many times longer to run a simple probability theory, therefore impacting the rest of technological advancement.

Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim

That’s right - basically past that porthole is “the outside”, so the pressurisation ends at the cabin door. As for lack of aerodynamics ... this is a plane that’s riveted together with flathead screws, has a shoe polish brush in the toilet, and a phone that looks like it came from a submarine (honestly, I expect there was a Soviet factory making these phones, and someone at the top said “go install this into a sub, a Yak and a weapons factory) - so any lack of engine aerodynamics is fixed with MORE ENGINES.
This is another way of putting it.