FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Water Issues at a Hotel (General Discussion)
Old May 18, 2019, 4:01 am
writerguyfl

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
I think most of us would go for the ‘quick rinse’ option rather than ‘self-induced hypothermia’ when faced with a hot water failure like this ....
Yes! I was without power for over 3 weeks after Hurricane Wilma in 2005. No power = no hot water. I became an expert at showering with minimal contact with water. You douse yourself to get wet, lather separately, and a very quick rinse.

Originally Posted by timfountain
What does the collective wisdom of the group think is an appropriate ask as compensation?
I doubt you'll get a consensus on this issue. Some will insist on a completely free stay; other people would be satisfied with a minor gesture.

As someone who used to work in hotels, I implore you to report the problem immediately next time. (Hopefully, there won't be a next time.) But, it's impossible for a hotel to fix a problem if they don't know it exists. Any time there's a problem in a hotel, just pick up the phone, dial "0", and report it.

Even if that problem can't get fixed immediately for you, consider the fact that you might be helping out another guest who isn't awake yet.

As for compensation, the absolute best time to figure that out is when you are at the hotel. Generally speaking, you'll get a better response when you're standing into front of someone when compared to an after-the-fact email or phone call.

As for what to ask for, I say go with Jiminy Cricket: let your conscience be your guide. If you think your entire stay was ruined by lack of hot water, ask for a full refund (or comparable points). If the shower was a bad part of an otherwise decent stay, ask for something less. There really isn't a correct answer.