FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Non Owner Car Insurance
View Single Post
Old May 16, 2019, 1:20 pm
garykung
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Bonehead
I think rentals may be a separate category...they are on my policy. I was really referring to a private individual lending a car to a friend/family member. I read that poster's comment as assuming that because he/she didn't have insurance he/she was uninsured when driving the friend's car.
Don't worry - I am not saying you are wrong. But esurance's statement is wrong.

Generally speaking, an automotive insurance covers non-named drivers as soon as 1) they are not within the same household; 2) the lending is occasional; and/or other conditions as necessary.

There is a reason why it is every parent's headache when it comes to insure their own children, because unless the children are named in the policies, their insurance won't cover any damages caused by their children.

Also - legally speaking, regardless of insurance coverage, a driver is always liable for any damages caused. The owner is responsible only when the driver can't handle the liability.

In that case, State Farm's statement on this is better:

It depends on your insurer and your particular policy.
https://www.statefarm.com/simple-ins...ead-this-first

Originally Posted by canyoncar
TL;DR: If you don't own a car and want to be covered for frequent rentals, your best bet is to buy your own liability policy.
My question is merely rhetorical.