FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AS 75k status or MVPG + AA ExPlat?
View Single Post
Old May 15, 2019, 6:14 pm
pbd456

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Originally Posted by channa
The RDMs have tangible value (and calculate the better redemption rates on AS, plus stopover value if you can use it).

The lounges and such have more intrinsic value. Are you seriously going to scoff at a business lounge and say no, I'd rather pay a few hundred bucks for a nice lunch at some restaurant in the airport because this business lounge is inadequate? No. Yes, the F lounges are nicer, but for an hour between flights?

The real value form EXP is in the SWUs. If you can buy some cheap Y's and upgrade them to J (vs buying J outright), that's tangible savings. You can weigh your chance of finding usable upgrade space, on route(s) AA flies that you want to use, and your likelihood of doing that (which sounds low based on your redemption targets) and the value of the AA miles earned vs. the AS miles earned against the savings on doing that.

it is so hard to use the SWU and I am giving up on them for Y to J upgrade. I dont really want to do lottery. BTW, the upgrade list is sorted by EQD. so getting the match and only 5k EQD will make sure you are at the bottom of the list -- since everyone gets 12k to keep it.