FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Trip Notes: 3 Nights in Tunisia
View Single Post
Old May 15, 2019, 6:00 pm
LAX_Esq

Programs: AA PLT / 2MM
Originally Posted by Nizar
Thanks for your trip report. Very helpful and informative.

Would you suggest a night at Kairouan ?
I'm maybe thinking to overnight it there then do the day trip to El Jem from there ?
Hmm, I think that would totally depend on how much overall time you have, your overall route (i.e., where you're coming from and going to), and your budget / preferred means of transport (i.e., driver vs. train or louage).

I don't think El Jem as a day trip from Kairouan makes much sense, if you mean an out-and-back trip. Why go back to Kairouan? Also, El Jem is awesome, but it's certainly not a full day's activity if you're on a tight itinerary. Kairouan could surely be made into a full day if you're traveling on a slow itinerary and have the interest. But I'm not sure if it's worth overnighting there. I have no idea what the hotel situation is like in Kairouan, but I'd imagine that you'd have more or better options in somewhere like Sousse where there is much more tourist infrastructure (better range of hotels). Maybe it's better to base yourself in Sousse and do El Jem and Kairouan as a combined day trip from there, or even as two separate day trips if you are traveling slowly.

I'm just brainstorming, and if you post more detail, I could say more...