FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - DYKWIA stories (Travelling on United Airlines) (Archive)
Old May 14, 2019, 8:13 pm
N104UA

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by catahoulafriend
My business partner and I are flying UA 9 SFO to CTU (April 27). He comes in from DEN, and me from IAH. We agree to meet in the Polaris Lounge for dinner and drinks. I arrive first. Seated at the bar (9:30 pm) are a hammered mother-daughter combo (mid 60’s, mid 30’s). I belly up and order a beer. These two ladies are talking gibberish: incoherent gossip with all kinds of emotional twang. Of course, I can’t help but eavesdrop. Suddenly they break into song. I’m muffling my laughter, looking away, but texting my partner this fun. He walks in and they literally stair him down. Then the bartender asks them about their flight: to Sydney. Asks them where they’re from: locals, San Francisco. Ask them how their evening is going: “great! we’ve been drinking here for twelve hours!”. Bartender then indicates it’s near boarding time, suggests they start heading down. “Not before another drink!” cry the ladies. Bar tender is now clearly hesitant; looks across the bar to a colleague. Then, after a nod of approval, does the dirty work: they’re cutoff. Both ladies shriek and push back, demanding a manager. Someone in such a roll appears, informs them that it’s the lounge policy not to serve more than three drinks, and besides it’s time for them to board their plane. More pushback upon which the manager firmly tells them “no”. Alas, those famous words are spoken by mom: “Do YOU KNOW WHO I AM? I’m global services and I’m calling CS right now!”. Manager stands his ground, informs them they will not be allowed to board if presumed intoxicated and that if anything goes awry, he’s personally responsible. At this point the daughter backs down and tries to pull mom away. Mom gives the thousand yard death stair, mumbling something about GS status and how’ll she’ll have none of this. She quietly acquiesces. Bartender politely says “have a good flight” as they ladies are headed to the escalator. This stops mom dead in her tracks and she screams (verbatim): “ I will NOT have a good flight, thanks to YOU!” This poor bartender. I consoled her saying she had done the right thing. All along, I wondered how the ladies’ flight went...I’m guessing they woke up somewhere over the Pacific massively hungover and in need of some water!
One of the best DYKWIM I have read in a long time. I could not imagine getting on a 14hr flight drunk (even in business), and I too wonder how their flight was. That is if they were allowed to board, wonder if PL manager called down to the flight to give a heads up.