FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Choice Hotels Account Hacked with No Resolutions!
Old May 13, 2019, 10:01 am
Barbara Dufour

Choice Hotels Account Hacked with No Resolutions!

Reference # 78660150Dear Sir or Madam,
This is follow-up information in reference to a problem I spoke with Mallory on 4/15/19 on the Choice Privileges Customer Service line. I reported back on April 1st that my Choice Privileges account had been hacked while I was vacationing in Argentina, and I had 30,000 points stolen from my account and redeemed for a $100 Banana Republic Electronic Gift Card. I was in New York City on March 21st and actually stayed at a Choice hotel in Jamaica NY the night before my flight to Argentina. I was in Argentina from March 22nd-April 6th. Sometimes around March 29th while in Argentina, I had multiple accounts of mine hacked by an unknown party probably via my cell phone data including my Choice Privileges account along with my Amazon, Ebates, Indeed and Microsoft accounts to name a few. The hackers also were also able to get into my personal email as the passwords for several of these accounts were similar, and I never received the gift card in my email, as it was probably stolen out of my email. The only way that I knew that the hack had taken place was that I received and email stating that a redemption had been made. I immediately changed my password on my account, and tried to call the Customer Service line, which unfortunately took me 2 days to get through due to the remote area I was staying in. I reported the theft on March 31st, and I was told that the gift card had not been issued and it would be investigated.
I did not receive any response back to my inquiry and when I called Choice Privileges Customer Service again on 4/15, I was told there was no record of my call. As you can see by my enclosed Verizon bill, I have proof that I talked with a representative on March 31st for approximately 11 minutes, reporting the theft. I had to escalate my case to a supervisor when I was told that the points would not be returned. Mallory from Choice Privileges stated that I can submit supporting evidence to prove this was not authorized by me, and I did not receive the gift card that the points were redeemed for.
I have sent proof that myself and my entire family including my husband were traveling away from home and out of the country from March 21st, 2019 to April 6th 2019 the following documents:
- My receipt from Sleep Inn in Jamaica NY dated 3/21/19 to document I was not at home during this time period.
- My Orbitz receipt for my flight to and from JFK to Raleigh, NC on departing March 21st and returning April 6th to document I was not at home during this time period.
- My Orbitz receipt for my flight to and from JFK to Mendoza, Argentina on departing March 22st returning April 6th to document I was not physically in the USA during this time period.
- My Verizon statement documenting my 11 minute phone call to Choice Privileges on March 31st to report the points stolen out of my account, also documenting the phone call was placed by me in Argentina. This also documents that I had a Verizon Travel Pass to place calls from Argentina during this time frame.
- My Capital One credit card statement for April showing purchases made by me and my husband in Argentina during this time frame to document I was not physically in the USA during this time period.Reissuing the gift card as another Choice Privileges employee suggested would be worthless as the card is probably spent by the hackers, and I do not shop in Banana Republic. If you look in the history of my account, I have maybe cashed out for 1 or 2 gift cards in my 20-year history. I hope this helps you to investigate this claim quickly. I am quite concerned why after many years of good service with Choice Hotels that my claim was never investigated when I called on March 31st. I would like the 30,000 points returned to my account as soon as possible. If the points are not returned, I plan to close my Choice Privileges account and pursue business with another hotel chain. I would hate to do this as we are frequent travelers and platinum members with Choice Privileges since 2000, and would hate to end a long relationship with your company over something that is easily correctable.
I am posting this on your Facebook page as well as any other social media I can in hopes this will be resolved and will be removes upon the return to the stolen points from my account. Sincerely,

Barbara Dufour