FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Recent Experiences onboard QR
View Single Post
Old May 12, 2019, 5:58 am
Howard Long

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
I did this exact route return three weeks ago, and had a350 with and without QSuite, and 777 with and without QSuite.

I've flown QR in F many times in the past, but util this trip I stopped using QR since they removed F on the BKK route.

In short I was very impressed with all segments, they outperformed my expectations in pretty much every facet. The main positive for me was the crew,I felt that the level of personal service was pretty much up to what I'd expect from F on BA. And it's no surprise bearing in mind that the crewax ratio is about the same.

I didn't really use the IFE except the moving map, I usually load up my iPad for that: this habit goes back to the days when IFEs weren't quite as reliable as they are nowadays.

I also use Al Safwa rather than Al Maj, and despite the forty or so stools was alone propping up the bar, which seems to be the standard occupancy in the twenty or so times I've been in there since it opened! The option to use Al Safwa, albeit for a price, is another reason to make QR J a better option. Regarding Al Safwa and Michelin, well, I did chuckle! It's a million miles away from Michelin star. The only facets that tick the Michelin boxes are the exclusivity and surroundings. The service and particularly the food are barely provincial brasserie or reasonable pub grub quality: I wouldn't even put it at Gastro Pub level.

The on board F&B was better than I was expecting. I particularly liked the Mezze. I just wish they'd have ice cream on the menu. As far as I could tell, there was no reduction in menu options or service on overnight flights.

The only problem with the QSuite seat was a slight ridge at the hips in bed mode, but that was solved by moving a little. Otherwise, the amount of space and storage seemed as good as anything else. The open 777 seat I had in the middle of the cabin I found was a little more comfy in that respect than the QSuite seat. Two pillows were very welcome. They were enhanced away on some airlines over a decade ago in J. The blankets are the best I've experienced on board, I never bothered with the turndown service, perhaps the mattress would alleviate the slight ridge in the seat in bed mode that I mentioned.

PJs were only offered in my first segment, but I take my own anyway. The ammenity kits go straight to my missus, unopened. I like it that the toothbrushes and toothpaste are available in the bathrooms. The bathrooms are mostly significantly larger than BA F.

The only places I can see it obviously lacks on, say, BA F, are: bathroom-to-pax ratio, PJs on day flights, flowers and cloth towels. I can live with that.