FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Simon Mall Gift Cards (2019-2023)
View Single Post
Old May 11, 2019, 10:01 pm
redtop43

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Originally Posted by horseymen
You are showing a good understanding of opportunity cost - something I preach about endlessly - and if you read enough posts, or I'm bored enough to start posting tonight, you may get another batch..

But, at least in regard to hotel points, I would argue the 6x Hilton Grocery through Amex is close to a 2.5-3% cash back equivalency - throw in efficient use of using them (Wrestlemania, hotels near football games/sporting events) - and they are an incredibly powerful currency to have.

But I'm strongly on team cashback. I got banned from a major Facebook group for telling people how much their "free" points really cost, and how sometimes they would have been better off paying cash, but ultimately that doesn't sell credit card links, so what can ya do?
Personally, with the advent of Priceline and Hotwire, I rarely book directly with a chain. I will probably have a points stay this summer in Vegas, on a weekend (when local hotel rates spike but Marriott redemption prices don't), using points my dad left to my brother, whom I'm going with.