FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Insane Pricing
Thread: Insane Pricing
View Single Post
Old May 11, 2019, 5:24 pm
beyondhere

Originally Posted by JRF
It keeps getting stranger. I can fly on AA from BWI to AUS cheaper than on WN by over $200.

Yes there are fares on AA that are way more, but if I were booking the trip today for later this week, $200 savings each way, well for $400 I am going on AA.

What is going on?
Southwest services that route nonstop and has a hub in BWI, so it's going to charge a premium at times even for the one-stops, and is not going to discount the fares too much, outside of sales, and fares over three weeks in advance. For cheaper fares add a BOS leg to it and go up to Boston. AUS-BWI-BOS and it will likely be cheaper than the AUS-BWI nonstop. AA is basically doing the same thing. Charges less in BWI, but will likely charge a premium in its hub like CLT or PHL. WN will discount fares to stations like BOS and EWR where it doesn't have a hub and its weaker.

I live in between BWI and EWR. Had to fly to OAK. I got an OAK-EWR flight earlier this year for just $129 one way, just two weeks or so before the flight, even though Southwest has over 200 departures from BWI and nonstops to OAK. The trick is to find stations where WN struggles but has a large enough presence and/or where it's a very competitive market. WN's presence in CLT is too small. Try RDU or ATL. I did find a low fare for PHX-ATL for $129 earlier this month just three weeks before the flight.