FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Recommendations for disabled/elderly transport?
Old Aug 14, 2004, 6:15 am
MsEverywhere

Programs: AA EXP/2MM/AC; UA Silver; AS; DL; Marriott LTT; National Car Elite
Does anyone know who would make the decision of air ambulance vs commercial jet? I met with mom & nursing supervisor @ my dad's nursing home. At first we assumed dad would go air ambulance. But then I got thinking he could probably take a direct flight.

Air Ambulance:
$10K - $12K for dad plus 2 family members, can take 3 small bags.

Includes ground ambulance to/from both airports with oxygen, about 20 min ground ambulance @ each end. 3 hour flight on Lear Jet or similar, including oxygen & RN. Medicare may reimburse for the ground ambulance.

Commercial:
$1K for F/C for dad including O2 and coach seats for mom & me, I always get upgraded on this NW route. Mom can probably sit in first row of coach, or maybe I can beg F/A to let her sit in F/C with us.

We can arrange 2 hour car ride to FNT, will need to arrange for O2 during car ride. NW can pick him up curbside, not sure if their O2 would arrive curbside. NW flight is 2 1/2 hours unless we make unscheduled fuel stop in GSP or JAX. Then we would need incontinence pad on seat although I think that's unlikely to be needed. I could help him (hold up blanket) if he needs to use his urinal. Then we can have someone meet us @ airport with O2 & his wheelchair.

If he has to go to the bathroom in the terminal, since mom and I will be the only ones with him, would I wheel him into the ladies' room? the mens' room (I wouldn't be embarrased)? find a NW agent to wheel him in? I think he might be able to wheel himself in & out...... Yesterday he wouldn't even let me help him from wheelchair to bed although I'm capable. He waited for aide from nursing home.

Do the financial considerations usualy rule? Do airlines usually evaluate condition before they accept a passenger? Should I check with doctor? What if we can afford either? Dad may balk at spending that much more for air ambulance.

Last edited by MsEverywhere; Aug 14, 2004 at 6:53 am Reason: Correct JAX, added bathroom question