FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - No bonus miles for CX elites?
View Single Post
Old May 11, 2019, 3:03 am
Unionruler

Programs: AS MVPG75k, AA Plat
Originally Posted by lixiaojuventus
MPC members do not earn more CPs on QR when flying economy fares, right? For example, RT HKG-DOH-LHR on QR (LMV fares) gets you 60 CPs, but RT HKG-LHR nonstop on CX (LMV fares) gets you 90 CPs. In comparison, when flying business RT HKG-DOH-LHR on QR gets you (60+45)*2 = 210 CPs, while RT nonstop HKG-LHR on CX (D,I fares) gets you only 180 CPs.
It's inescapable in a stage length points-based system...if you're based in the hub, you'd almost always be flying non-stop on the flag carrier.

Loads of people benefit from it though. Residents of PRC, USA, Canada will benefit because they usually fly through HKG, and prices are depressed from the TPAC fare wars. Residents of South Africa, Nepal and Sri Lanka who make above average incomes, or people who are willing to reposition there for the generally cheaper fares. If CX caves in to pressure from the current PE/J Europe-Asia fare war, EU residents will benefit too. For these people, the cost per CP may be marginally cheaper, or even peanuts in some cases.

I live in SIN and I advocate loyalty to Oneworld. If I lived in HKG, I would advocate loyalty to *A/ ST.