FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Fernweh parents
Thread: Fernweh parents
View Single Post
Old May 10, 2019, 11:49 pm
CDTraveler

Originally Posted by Richard Chen
I was writing my last post about millennials changing travel when a search revealed no threads about parents who were frequent travelers but now due to new family obligations cannot.

Guilty questions include:
Am I a bad parent for wanting to travel?
Do I dare admit thus piss off the spouse (presuming s/he has priorities set better)?
Do I have my priorities in life wrong?
What can I do to ease fernweh?
Isn't traveling without spouse rife for fidelity-image problems (even if none are real)?
Might I make it intact to last kids' age 18 before returning to travel?

FlyerTalk's formerly affiliated MegaDO's (last was SkyMegaDO1) introduced me to such a powerful community with whom I still either cam connected individually or ache to be a part of again but can't due to priorities. I volunteered with Map&Move to give back to said feeling but which parents here know the struggle?
Why would you need to wait until last kid turns 18 to return to travel? My kid has had a passport continuously since he was 3 months old. Granted, with our budget now sometimes travel is a 90 mile road trip to a historic town and a motel with a great pool, but for us travel is about seeing something new, having different experiences - like a 3 hr bike ride on a converted canal trail, visiting historic sites, trying different food, instead of just racking up miles (heresy here, I know).

As for travel and spouse, that's between the two of you. Nobody else knows what happens in your marriage but you.