Old May 10, 19, 11:12 am
glenn___ebooks

Originally Posted by radonc1 View Post
There are many people out there that want to gift but don't want to shop, wrap and go through the hassle that is gift giving. It is far easier to give a gift card than shop for a gift. And many will consider paying a few dollars for the convenience a blessing. (and GCs come in many different sizes, not just $200).
Haha, you're right - I wasn't thinking as clearly about the "gift" part of gift card, though in my personal experience that usually comes in store versions. I've never received, sent or even heard of prepaid gift cards being used as gifts with the 1 exception of a work retreat where they were given as prizes (AMEX $25 cards with I'm sure a $6 activation fee...what a waste).

Originally Posted by radonc1 View Post
The reason one has a sale is to lure people into the store, so that expensive ordinary merchandise can be purchased. While many on this thread would never consider buying at retail in an OD or Staples, most "normal" people will think that paying the extra dollar for a ream of paper is worth not getting in a car and traveling 3 miles up the road to some other site for such savings.
Of course that's why stores do sales; I guess I'm just wondering if that's the kind of thing that actually DOES get people in to buy other products, in comparison to a grocery store discounting apples and then you buy other produce. But evidently Staples believes it does since they keep doing these promos and I can't think of any other reason for these constant sales.