FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - IAD international to domestic transfer question
Old May 10, 2019, 8:22 am
johnkel1

Emirates to Delta at IAD

I will be arriving from DXB into IAD and transferring to a Delta Airlines flight to Atlanta (separate ticket). As Emirates and Delta do not have an interline baggage agreement I understand I will need to clear customs, pick up my bags and recheck my bags with Delta under the separate ticket. I am unfamiliar with the IAD airport and wonder if anyone can give insight on how difficult this will be. I did the same thing last year at JFK and the Delta baggage recheck outside customs would not accept the bags and I had to carry them to the Delta terminal (walking outside) to check the bags at the counter. I am trying to avoid this fiasco at IAD. I assume Emirates and Delta operate out of different terminals at IAD, how does one get from one terminal to the other? My other option is to use the Emirates car service included in my ticket and have Emirates take me to DCA, though that seems like a lot work to avoid having to carry bags from one terminal to another to recheck. Any comments on the process at IAD will be greatly appreciated.