FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Have you been scammed by Accor promotions?
Old May 9, 2019, 10:16 pm
AlwaysFlyStar

Programs: A3, BA, OZ,
I feel like both positions here are reasonable. As someone who has been with Accor for nearly 10 years, I see voucher and automatically assume that means using points. However, if I just joined today, I would not understand it in that way. Additionally I just checked the security email from the last time I redeemed points at a hotel which was a couple of weeks ago, and there was no mention of voucher in the email.
Dear AlwaysFlyStar,
You chose to deduct 12,000 Rewards points from your bill during your stay at the ****. Please find below the code to present to the hotel in order to deduct these points from your bill:
Once the code has been entered by the hotel, the Rewards points points will be immediately debited from your account. Please note you will not be able to cancel or amend the transaction. The transaction can be viewed by logging into your online account and going to the "My points history" section. We wish you a nice stay. Your Le Club AccorHotels team
And in the bill, it said points redemption, not voucher. So even if they still refer to them as vouchers internally, outwardly, for non-terms and conditions issues, it seems they have shifted away from that term. So if I had recently joined, I would assume that the LCAH vouchers mentioned in the terms are some unrelated entity. So while I have read and understood the terms and conditions, I think that they were indeed unclear and would agree that, for the OP, he should be entitled to receive the points from the promotion. However, in reality, I am not sure how likely this would be and how far they are willing to go in order to achieve this. And while this is not legal advice and I am not a lawyer, as far as the law is concerned, my understanding is that based on the contra proferentem rule, if the terms that were published when OP chose to participate in the promotion only mentioned LCAH vouchers and not points, in theory, the OP should be entitled to the points both legally and morally. However, as it is not a huge amount of worth in the grand scheme of things, I would question how much effort it is worth to pursue such a thing, but that is for the OP to decide.